Whilst our building is still closed, we are able to continue to offer workshops online, delivered digitally via ZOOM or Microsoft TEAMS. Please see below the sessions that we are able to deliver. All workshops will be adapted to ensure that we are COVID safe and socially distanced.
CAREERS – WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT DO YOU DO?
Find out more about who makes up a theatre and what their jobs entail.
In this workshop, we’ll explain the different departments within theatre and the jobs and roles of the people who work there. Using practical exercises and tasks, students will have to work together to create an imagined performance at the Royal Exchange Theatre and take on the various responsibilities of these roles.
DEVISING - SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN
No scripts, no preconceived ideas, but by the end of the session there will be a performance!
This workshop explores the very beginning of the process of devising. Using a few provocations, we’ll very quickly get up on our feet and start trying things, start hunting down a story, or a character, or a way of moving… or anything. It will require a strong sense of ensemble, faith in leaping into the unknown, play and imagination.
• Expand your pupil’s imagination and excite them about being creative
• Develop and perform their own piece of original work
• Take away at least 3 devising techniques to be used in the classroom
PERFORMING - GRIT AND GRACE
How to be a fearless performer (or how to use our fear constructively) is the name of the game.
To perform is often one of the most scary and vulnerable things you can do. It takes both GRIT and GRACE. The Royal Exchange is a fierce arena for an actor, but if cracked, one of the most exciting and exhilarating.
In this workshop, we’ll explore the fun of getting things wrong, of failing and failing better, and engaging that muscle, that we all have, to be fearless and bold. Through games and fast fire exercises, we’ll try to quieten that voice that tells you that you can’t do it and remind ourselves that our instincts are the best thing we have.
• Students will feel liberated enough to be bold, get stuff wrong, and play without judgement
• Learners will play without judgement
• Students will get up on their feet, perform in front of others and develop their confidence
• Your young people will work as a team and perform
WRITING - READY, STEADY, WRITE
Accessing our inner writers...
Our Writing Workshops can centre around monologue writing or scene writing and allow your students to delve into their creativity and produce their own characters to be represented by their own words.
• Your students will learn how to create a character
• They will create a new character and be able to describe them
• Learners will create a world to set their character in
• Tell a story that takes a character on a journey that has changed them in some way
• Explore how that character might overcome obstacles
Once schools are back open and our building is reopened, we will hopefully be able to deliver workshops in person again, whether it be at the Theatre or in your school.