Throughout the year, the Young Company stage several productions that allow members to create fresh and innovative work in a professional environment, learning from and working alongside our in-house team and other professional theatre staff.
Each year the Young Company will produce:
- A Studio show
- A devised show
- A show in collaboration with our Elders Company
- Two interactive events in the Royal Exchange Great Hall – called Table for Six
All of which allow company members to put their skills training into action and experience making a variety of different scales of work.
Other opportunities to perform both in and out of the building are offered throughout the year. For more info on past productions, click here.
All Young Company members receive a free ticket to each main house show at the theatre, meaning they can be amongst the first audience members to see the Royal Exchange’s new work.
Masterclasses bring the Young Company, alongside our Elders Company, together with members of the creative team from main house productions. Providing an insight into specialist skills and a chance to get advice from theatre professionals. In the last year, the Young Company have worked with:
- Sarah Frankcom, our Artistic Director
- Amit Sharma & Matthew Xia, our Associate Artistic Directors
- Graeae Theatre Company
- Katherine Soper, Bruntwood Prize winning playwright
- Mark Aspinall, the Musical Director of Sweet Charity
- Michelle Andrews, Dance Captain of Sweet Charity
- Bethany Wells, designer
- Kate O’Donnell, performer in Twelfth Night
Members of the Young Company will have the opportunity to audition to be a part of the ensemble in main house productions at the theatre. In 2017, members of the Young Company took on roles in The Suppliant Women and our MIF17 production Fatherland
The John Thaw Trainee Scheme enables us to offer individual training and mentoring to up to 8 young people from our Young Company. Since September 2012 the John Thaw Foundation has enabled us to offer creative bursaries to 36 young people. More Info