Former Young Company member Gurjeet Singh talks about how being a member of the Young Company helped to kickstart his career.
WE HAVE TWO GROUPS OF PERFORMERS:
Performers 1: 14-17 year olds, weekly sessions Mondays 5.00pm – 7.00pm
Performers 2: 18-21 year olds, weekly sessions Mondays 7.30pm – 9.30pm
All sessions offer practical approaches to performing, introducing you to a variety of acting techniques and skills, culminating in an end of year performance during the summer holidays that you will work on with the Young Makers.
The Young Performers specialise in making theatre and performing. Sessions will explore what it means to work in an ensemble both in a rehearsal room and on stage. Alongside professional directors, you will develop a foundation of performance skills including movement, approaches to script, creating a character, devising and improvisation.
YOUNG PERFORMERS WILL:
• Develop in-depth performance skills
• Learn about a variety of performance styles
• Get practical and try different techniques
• Perform as a group
• Work with large groups and lots of different people
• Develop in confidence
• Share ideas
• Explore and discussing theatre with like-minded people
YOUNG PERFORMERS WILL HAVE ACCESS TO:
• Weekly skills sessions
• Opportunities to make, watch and learn more about theatre
• Free tickets to Royal Exchange main house productions
• Access to our Facebook group which provides opportunities in the arts, information about events, tickets and work in Manchester
• Production opportunities including an end of year performance and a show made in collaboration with our Elders Company
• Mentoring from theatre staff and exclusive backstage access
To apply, you will need to sign up and take part in an informal audition workshop. No previous experience is necessary, just enthusiasm and a willingness to learn!
Fees are £200 for the year. Financial support to help with membership and travel costs to and from the theatre is available through our scheme called Arts Pot. Applications to the Arts Pot can be made once you have been offered a place in the Young Company.