If you (or a boy you know) is interested in being considered for this professional opportunity, please see below for details.
GYPSY is the story of Momma Rose and her two daughters Louise and June. A Broadway smash-hit celebrating the highest-highs and the lowest-lows of show business. Momma Rose puts everything she has into her girls, her desire, her grit and her frustrated ambition, stopping at nothing to make her daughters the star she never was. The production follows hot on the heels of the Christmas smash-hits GUYS AND DOLLS and THE PRODUCERS. Director JO DAVIES is joined by Choreographer ANDREW WRIGHT and JOEL FRAM the production’s Music Supervisor.
• We are looking for young talented boys able to sing and dance to a high level. Experience either professionally or in musical youth theatre an advantage.
• Boys must be aged 9-12 years no broken or breaking voices please
• Boys must be locally based and live within easy commuting distance of central Manchester (No further than a rough 40mile radius)
• All performers should have a good dance grounding in tap, jazz and ballet. (Tap and soft shoes needed for auditions.)
• All boys will need to prepare selected material from the show (we will forward this on invitation to audition) and offer examples from own songbook. In the play the ensemble are called the 'Young Newsboys’, these are Mama Rose's vaudeville troupe seen when she first ‘collects’ them as kids.
• Main rehearsals begin on Monday 21 October 2019 (all in Manchester) - Children's rehearsals will be scheduled outside of school hours wherever possible, though some time off school is always inevitable.
• 1st preview: Saturday 30 November 2019 / Press Night: Thursday 5 December 2019
• GYPSY will run until Saturday 25 January 2020.
• Two teams of children will share the performances on a rota basis 50/50.
• Please be assured that all child performers will be under the care of professional, registered chaperones whilst in our building and all under 16year olds are licensed for performance in accordance with the law. Safeguarding is a top priority as well as offering a positive experience for young professionals.
• At the Royal Exchange child performers are paid a session fee per rehearsal or performance plus a travel contribution for parents/carers.
Group auditions will be held at the Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester M2 7DH on SATURDAY 21 SEPTEMBER 2019. By invitation only (i.e. not an open call)