MAKERS: 16-21 YEAR OLDS, WEEKLY SESSIONS TUESDAYS, 7.30PM – 9.30PM
Makers sessions provide insight into the exciting world of off-stage roles. You will specialise in an area of work and then every other week, will come together with the rest of the group to learn about how each role links and works together. Makers will explore stage and scripts and will work with a range of professional theatre makers as well as the Young Performers. You will then put their skills into practice when you direct, operate or design for an end or year performance during the summer holidays.
The Young Makers specialise in making theatre with ensembles and sessions will explore what it means to work in a large group on stage. Alongside professional directors, you will develop a foundation of making skills and a deeper insight into one area of theatre making.
YOUNG MAKERS WILL:
• Develop in-depth skills in directing, technical theatre and design
• Learn about a variety of theatrical styles
• Get practical and try different techniques
• Work towards a performance
• Work with large groups and lots of different people
• Develop in confidence
• Share ideas
• Explore and discussing theatre with like-minded people
YOUNG MAKERS WILL HAVE ACCESS TO:
• Weekly skills sessions
• Opportunities to make, watch and learn more about theatre
• Free tickets to Royal Exchange main house productions
• Access to our Facebook group which provides opportunities in the arts, information about events, tickets and work in Manchester
• Production opportunities including an end of year performance and a show made in collaboration with our Elders Company
• Mentoring from theatre staff and exclusive backstage access
To apply, you will need to sign up and take part in an informal audition workshop. No previous experience is necessary, just enthusiasm and a willingness to learn!
Fees are £200 for the year. Financial support to help with membership and travel costs to and from the theatre is available through our scheme called Arts Pot. Applications to the Arts Pot can be made once you have been offered a place in the Young Company.