In Summer 2022 the Den was built for the third time in Cheetham Hill at the Ukrainian cultural centre to host the Den in M8.

From 29 July to 6 August, the Den, the Royal Exchange’s mobile theatre was situated in the Ukrainian Cultural Centre in Cheetham Hill for two weeks of events, performances, workshops and activities.

Since 2017 the Royal Exchange has been resident in Cheetham Hill and Crumpsall, working in partnership with local communities developing key partnerships with organisations such as Manchester Jewish Museum, Khizra Mosque and Abraham Moss School and Library.

Alongside developing key partnerships, we have also been bringing together a 12-strong Local Exchange Ambassador team to co-create and deliver the Den Festival. This team of Cheetham Hill and Crumpsall residents helped shape the themes and ideas for the Festival as well as ran workshops and hosted events, compered the opening launch night and got their friends, family and neighbours to come along and experience the Den for themselves.

The Den in M8 Audience feedback

“Lively and diverse programme, giving a real sense of community”

“Fantastic show! Loved full English and I’d recommend it to anyone, especially as I too have mixed race heritage. It really struck a chord with me!”

“Lively and diverse programme, giving a real sense of community, much notably the plays of really high quality”

“Really really good. It gave me an emotional attachment to Cheetham Hill, definitely brought a tear to my eye. Well done guys!”